Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Visa Application

Today I had my visa application appointment at 1:30 pm. What a chore. Heath was assuring me that it would probably be at the UK Embassy with helpful, friendly Brits and fast, friendly service.

Wrong.

It was on the corner of a nondescript street in some random part of town in a bland looking office building, the type where businesses rent out one of the hundreds of little office rooms on its many floors. The UK passport "office" was on the first floor, taking up two little rooms, next to an office with the Singaporean insignia on it. I was asked to sit on a chair whilst he typed in every bit of information from my printed visa application, even though I had already sent an online version. He asked me what supporting documents I had brought, so I showed him. I had been hoping for someone who was well-versed in the process, who could help tell me if I had everything or not, because every website on the visa application process is so unhelpful and never gives you a set, certain list of everything you need to bring. But no, he was just some man paid minimum wage to be a type-monkey, and it showed. He was very brisk and unfriendly, and after typing in my info, he took my picture and fingerprints, and demanded 30 Euros further, in cash, for courier service that would return my passport to my house as soon as it was ready.

So.

Most visas are approved and returned within 10-15 BUSINESS days, so I'm hoping so much mine gets here on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment